The 50 MHz and Up Group is an educational and public service amateur radio organization centered in the San Francisco Bay area. The group is interested in developing and utilizing communications on frequencies from 50MHz up through light-waves. The group is open to any related topics that might be of interest to members, such as: technology, design, construction, operation, public service, contesting and antennas. Learn more . . .
For questions about this group or about programs and activities, please contact the 2016 President, Mike Lavelle K6ML: miclevel (at) comcast [dot] net
To send a memberform with your updated information or to join, please go to the Membership tab.
Our next meeting of the 50MHz and Up Group of N. Calif will be a regular meeting on Thursday, June 2, 2016 at 7pm. Our meeting will be at the usual TI conference building, room 2. You get there from Kifer Rd as shown on our meetings page (click on meetings in the selection bar)
Our program will be:
- Introductions and new business
- Picnic info and signups
- Millimeter wave (24GHz and up) Projects Panel Discussion (Paul, David, Lars, Brian, Gary)
- Recap of IMS 2016
- Roundtable and Show and Tell; What have you been up to lately?
The 50 MHz and Up Group Summer Picnic and Rig Tuneup will be on Saturday, July 9
Instead of a July meeting in the TI conference center, we will have a combination tuneup party and a picnic in the Sandy Wool picnic area at Ed Levin County Park in Milpitas.
Please RSVP in the next week if possible
- by email to Mike Lavelle: miclevel (at) comcast [dot] net
- by using the signup sheet at the June meeting
- how many mouths to feed (you + any guests)
- how many rigs you will be testing/showing
- if you are interested in a contest loaner rig
Our annual summer social event
- Try out your new 10 or 24 GHz rig on our 300' test range; see how your rig compares
- Check out other folks' rigs to see how they were built; steal some ideas for that rig you are building
- Gary Lauterbach (AD6FP) has a couple of loaner 10 GHz rigs that he is willing lend to rigless members who would like to try their hand at operating in the ARRL 10 GHz and Up contest (3rd weekends of Aug and Sept); he will bring the rigs so you can get acquainted.
- Blow the cobwebs off your trusty old rig and find out if it still works BEFORE the August contest (instead of finding out that it doesn't DURING the contest
- New and would be contesters can practice their technique and get some pointers.
Here's the timetable for July 9th:
0915-1000 arrive and set up your rig(s) to be tested
1000-1200 we test 10 and 24 GHz rigs for Minimum Detectable Signal and Effective Radiated Power levels
1200-???? we all enjoy the picnic
We're asking for a $15 donation to help defray some of the site rental and food costs. You can give that to David at the next meeting or at the door.
Directions to the picnic/tuneup
From I-680, I-880 or CA-237, take Calaveras Blvd east, up into the hills. The park is about 2-3 miles east of 680. Just inside the park, turn left into Downing Rd, towards the Sandy Wool park entrance gate.
Check in at the gate ($6/car if you don't have an annual county park pass).
Continue straight, past the Elm group area and past Sandy Wool Lake (both on your right).
Enter the large parking area on the right for the Sandy Wool Picnic area.
Park on the side away from the road, up against the row of trees.
Set up rigs on the edge of the open lawn area (across sidewalk on other side of trees) for testing. Arrive in time to setup for testing that begins at 10am.
Recent DocumentsA slide presentations by Brian Yee W6BY on an Introduction to Amateur Radio Microwave Operation is available. Please go to the Articles and Presentations tab.
Microwave Beacons in operation UPDATED The following beacons are known to be operating as of 04-16-2016:
|Mt Vaca||CM88wj||38.415, -122.116||10368.325||W6ASL||+30dBm||10dBi omni||CW ID|
|Mt Allison||CM97bl||37.500, -121.872||10369.192
+30dBm total out
|CW ID, drifts ~10 kHz
Linear translator: Output is 11-55 kHz above beacon
Input 600 kHz below desired output
FM ID, aimed to Los Gatos
|Mt Leeson||CM97ae||37.167, -121.924||10367.990
|FM ID, locked, aimed NW
FM ID, locked, aimed NW
FM ID, unlocked, aimed NW
no ID, locked, aimed NW
|Bear Mtn.||DM06ir||37.747, -119.281||24191.990||W6BY/B||+27dBm||20 slot omni||locked, IDs as DM07IC, will fix|
|Mt Frazier||DM04ms||34.775, -118.969||10368.310||N6CA/B||+31dBm||14dBi omni||CW ID, locked|
|Heaps Peak||DM14kf||34.235, -117.141||10368.370||?||+?? dBm||??dBi omni||CW ID|
|Palos Verdes||DM03ts||33.747, -118.336||10368.300||N6CA/B||+32dBm||14dBi omni||CW ID, locked|
|Santiago||DM13fr||33.712, -117.534||10368.330||KE6JUV||+27dBm||10dBi omni||CW ID, locked|
|San Miguel||DM12mq||32.697, -116.935||5760.000
CW ID, locked
CW ID, locked, aimed to LA